Yau Char Kway made simple
( No Ammonia and no yeast) adapted from the original
Ingredients 2cups all purpose flour
7/8 cup (210ml )water
2 tsp or
2½ tsp baking powder (amount depend on
1 tsp salt
1. Dissolve the salt in the water. Using
chopsticks, mix all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
2. then using your hands knead for about 3 minutes until
3. Set aside and let it rest for 10 minutes.
4. After 10 minutes,brush a little cooking oil on a working
5. Divide the dough
into half and shape the dough into a into a long rectangle block about
1/2 in thick.
6. Brush cooking oil on both side of the dough and cover them on a
plate sealed with cling wrap
7. Keep the dough in the fridge for 12 hours or overnight.
8. The next day take out the dough and set aside to cool to
9. Cut into
1 x 2 inch strips. Place two strips, one on top of each other. Do the same for the rest
of the strips..
10. Heat oil in a kuali. Take the strips and press lightly on the two
strips of dough with a chopstick. Holds both ends of the dough and
stretch gently twist the strips before lowering it into the hot oil. Deep fry,
turning constantly until each cruller turns puffy and golden brown.
Notes- The above is
adapted from the original
Traditional method . The traditional method has some oil
added to the dough to make it more easy to knead and handle.