Yau Char Kway - Traditional No Ammonia
(Chinese Cruller- another hawkers secret recipe, proven to work) adapted from Wantanmein video
Ingredients 200 gm all purpose flour (sieved)
2½ tsp baking powder ( amount
depending on the brand)
3 tablespoon vegetable oil
100 ml plus another ½ tbsp water (or 110ml water)
1 tsp salt
Method 1. Dissolve the salt in the water.
2. Using Chop stick mix all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
If too dry add a little water.
3 Knead for about 3 minutes using your hands
4 .Set aside for 1hour cover with a wet cloth or plate
5. After one hour, fold the dough from the sides and
punch about 10 times. Repeat this process for about 10
6. Flip over the dough and again repeat the process as in step
5 for another 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, the dough need to be wet and sticky.
7. Put the dough into a plastic bag and sealed with a rubber band.
8. Keep the dough in the fridge overnight or at least 12 hours
9. The next day take out the dough and set aside about 2 hours to
cool to room temperature. The dough should feel very much softer
than the day before.
10.Brush some oil onto a working surface and roll the dough
out into a long rectangle block about 1/2 in thick.
11. Cut into
1 x 2 inch strips. Place two strips, one on top of each other. Do the same for the rest
of the strips..
12. Heat oil in a kuali. Take the strips and press lightly on the two
strips of dough with a chopstick. Holds both ends of the dough and
stretch and twist gently the strips before lowering it into the hot oil. Deep fry,
turning constantly until each cruller turns puffy and golden brown.