Roti Paun ( Red Bean Paste or Butter milk )
*makes 18pcs of roti paun and extra with few buns
100g bread flour
70ml hot boiling water
1. Place Bread flour in a mixing bowl.
2. .Add hot boiling water and mix with wooden spoon to form a rough
3. Cover bowl with cling film and leave dough to cool in the fridge
for at least 1 hour or up to 48 hours
To prepare Basic sweet bread dough
300g bread flour
100g plain flour
1 tbsp instant yeast
½ tsp salt
175ml cold milk
1 cold grade A egg
60g cold butter, cubed
1. Combine flours, sugar, yeast and salt together in a mixing bowl.
2. Tear the gelatinized dough into pieces and add to the bowl along
with the eggs
3. Using a stand electric mixer, mix on low speed, adding cold milk
4. Mix until dough is well combined and leave the sides of bowl.
5. Add in the cold butter cubes and mix on medium speed until dough
is smooth. Leave stand to prove for 2 hour or until double in
6. Shape dough into a ball, leave to proof for another 30-60mins.
To assemble Roti Paun
1. Divide and shape bread dough into a small ball weighted 30g each.
2. Spoon 1tsp of butter filling and wrap inside the small dough
ball.* See below
3. Place dough ball in a greased 9” round cake tin (removable base).
4. Once completed, set aside to rest for 15mins.
5. Apply egg wash on top of the dough balls.
6. Bake at preheated oven at 180c for 20-25 mins.
Click how to make
Red Bean Paste or
Butter milk fillings
1/8 tsp salt
30g whole egg (about half egg)*
1 tbsp cornflour (can add more)
80g skimmed milk powder
*you can use the other ½ egg for egg
1. Cream butter, sugar and salt until creamy.
2. Add in egg in batches mixing well each time.
3. Put in corn flour and skimmed milk powder, mix well with rubber
spatula. Add more corn flour if dough is still too soft or watery
depending on your egg size.
* Careful to seal buns well to prevent
leaking when baked. Make the same mistake twice.
*If you want the buns to look more
attractive and appetizing, you can glaze them while they are still
hot with butter, margarine, apricot gel, egg white or sugar syrup.
( Cook 1part of sugar with 2 parts of water till boiling).
Back to Recipes Index