Red Bean Filling ( Tau Sar Filling)
1 1/2 cups red beans, washed well
4 cups water
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup sugar
1. Soak beans with water overnight . This helps shorten the
2. The next day, bring the beans and water to a boil. Simmer for 1 ½
- 2 hours, until the beans have softened, adding more water as
necessary. Drain. Make sure always have just enough water to cover
all the beans.
3. Blend them into a puree in a
hand held blender or food processor.
4. Press the puree through a sieve, discarding the skins, which will
be left in the sieve.
5. Place the thickened puree back into a saucepan, together with the
sugar and vegetable shortening, and heat over low heat, stirring
until it becomes a thick paste. Stir and scrape vigorously so that
it does not stick to the bottom.
6. Remove from heat and let cool before filling buns.
*Stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator, homemade sweet
red bean paste will last for approximately 1 week.
Back to Recipes Index