How to season a wok. (Cantonese way)
All new wok must be properly seasoned before it is put
Else the wok will rust easily and the food you cook it in will smell
of the industrial oil.
1. Use paper towels to wipe away the protective oil.
2. Wash and scrub the wok with steel wool, inside and out. Wipe it
3. Put it on the stove, heat it till it begins to smoke and pour in,
say, 1 cup of veg oil.
4. Add white tofu and garlic
chives and fry for about 20 to 30 minutes.
5. Throw away the tofu and chives, wash the wok without soap and
wipe it dry. Smear some oil all over. It's seasoned and ready to be
Never use washing detergent to clean a wok as it
will cut too deeply into the surface of the wok and take away all
the oil, making the wok vulnerable to rust. Unless it is super
dirty, just wash with water and a brush.
It is good to deep-fry the first couple of times so the oil will
really seal the surface of the wok. The more you use the wok, the
deeper the color will go, until it develops a shiny black patina and
a permanent non-stick surface develops.
Back to Recipes Index