Kuih Kasturi (mung beans kuih)
300g green mung beans
100g light brown sugar
100g freshly grated coconut
100g plain flour
50g rice flour
1/2tsp baking soda
160ml ice cold water
1. Place mung beans in a fairly deep pot. Cover with water
completely, the water level about an inch and a half above the
surface of the mung beans.
2. Bring to a boil and then lower flame to simmer. Cook until the
beans are tender, have broken up and until the beans have absorbed
all the liquid leaving only a mush of beans in the pot.
3. Watch the pot carefully towards the end so that it doesn't burn.
Transfer the mush onto a flat plate to cool it down completely.*
4. When the boiled beans have cooled down completely transfer to a
medium bowl and add grated coconut, sugar and salt. Adjust for
sweetness if you like it sweeter. Mix thoroughly until it becomes
pasty and then shape into patties (30g each) about 2 inches in
5. To prepare batter: mix all dry ingredients together, slowly add
cold water and stop until you have achieved a nice coating batter.
6. Heat up a wok with oil until hot over medium low flame. Dip the
bean patties in the batter one by one and fry until a light golden
brown and crispy. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy.
* It's important that the cooked beans cool down completely so that
when the sugar is added it will not melt and make the bean mixture
Back to Recipes Index