Egg Jam (Kaya)
3 large eggs (lightly beaten)
250g caster sugar
Add sugar into beaten eggs,
Use a hand whisk to stir mixture until sugar dissolves
1 1/2 tablespoons butter/margarine (optional)
(B) * see below for brown kaya
350ml coconut milk
8pcs pandan leaves (screwpine leaves)
Blend pandan leaves and coconut milk in a blender. Strain to discard
Few drops of brown coloring to enhance a darker green color
* Instead of green kaya, if your prefer a brown kaya. Do not blend
the Pandan leaves but tied it into a knot and cook it together with
the egg mixture. Then heat up the sugar for the Caramel in a sauce
pan until the sugar melts into caramel. When the color becomes
golden brown, add the caramel into the kaya, stir to combine well.
The color of the kaya should be golden brown. Turn off the heat.
Method using A MICRO WAVE OVEN ( Fast track)
1) Measure out your sugar and put it into a micro wave mixing
2) Put eggs into the mixing bowl with the sugar and use a whisk to
mix them up
3) Add in coconut milk and mix them up
4) Tie a knot into your pandan leaf and add that into the mixing
5) Put the mix into the microwave, and microwave on HIGH for 2
6) After 2 minutes, take it out of the microwave and mix it up with
the whisk. The mixture will rise up but as you mix it it settles
back down. Then put it back in the microwave for another 2
minutes and repeat this.
Then reduce it to 1 minute, and do this about 4 times until you get
the right consistency. The kaya will thicken upon cooling.
8.Let the kaya jam cool down, add in butter or margarine discard the
pandan leaves and transfer the kaya to a hand held blender. Blend
until it reaches a silky smooth consistency and without lumps.
Transfer the kaya to a jam bottle. You can keep it in the fridge for
about a week
1. Add mixture A into mixture B became kaya mixture. Stir and mix
2. Sift the kaya mixture into another mixing bowl (stainless steel
3. Place mixing bowl over another pot of boiled water on low heat,
stir kaya mixture occasionally.
(Do not stop too long, 1-2mins intervals)
4. It took at least 1hour to cook till desired thickness. The volume
of kaya will be reduced at least 1/3 from the initial kaya mixture.
Kaya will turn thicker when it is cool.
Back to Recipes Index