Basic Chiffon Cake (Angel Cake)
Ingredients of batter:
5 egg yolks
20 gm caster sugar
100 gm plain flour
* ( see below)
1 tsp baking powder
100 ml coconut milk
2 tbsp pandan juice (Optional - see below for making pandan juice)
3 tbsp corn oil
* for a more moist cake changed to 70g plain flour plus 30g rice
Ingredients of egg whites:
5 egg whites
60 gm caster sugar
½ tsp cream of
To make pandan juice:
1. Preheat oven to 170C (338F).
2. Beat the egg yolks with a balloon whisk and mix in 20 gm of
sugar. Add coconut milk, pandan juice Combine well.
3. Sift in cake flour and baking powder in three batches into the
egg yolk mixture. Mix well. Lastly, add corn oil. Set aside.
4. Use a large clean bowl, making sure there’s no water or oil in
it. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until bubbles form.
Add the cream of tartar. After mixing well, add the 60 grams of
sugar in three batches, about one-third at a time, and beat well
between additions. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
5. Spoon out ⅓ of the beaten egg
whites and fold into the egg yoke mixture. Then continue lightly fold in the rest of
the beaten egg whites with a spatula, until just combined.
6. Pour into the cake pan and bake in preheated oven for about 35 to
40 minutes. After baking the first 15 minutes, if you find your cake
gets browning, reduce heat to 150C（302F）, continue to bake until
cooked through. A tooth pick comes out clean when inserted in the
7. Remove cake from the oven. invert the pan immediately. Allow it
to cool completely.
10 Pandan leaves
Chop pandan leaves into chunks, pop in a food processor and add
tablespoons of water. Process to small pieces. Place
Pandan leaves in a muslin bag and squeeze out the juice. You need
about 2 tablespoons of it to make this cake. If you don’t have a
muslin bag, just use your clean hand to squeeze out the juice.
You can substitute pandan juice with orange juice and it will
be Orange Chiffon Cake.
Back to Recipes Index