TangZhong White bread
1/2 Cup (120ml) water
1/4 Cup (24g) Bread Flour
Bread Dough Ingredients:
1/2 Cup Milk
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
3 Tablespoon Sugar
3 Tablespoon Melted Butter
1 1/2 Cup Bread Flour*
1 1/3 Teaspoon Active Dry Yeast* I used instant yeast see
instant yeast is used, reduced the yeast by 20% and add extra
tsp of sugar to avoid the yeast smell of over fermentation. (1tsp
instant yeast Plus 1tsp sugar)
To Make The TangZhong 湯種:
Whisk the bread flour and the water together in a heat proof
saucepan. Heat the mixture at low heat till it thickens .(about 2-3
mins), continually stirring till the mixture start to
have “lines ”- gluey and starchy
Transfer to a bowl and cover loosely with plastic wrap to prevent
from drying and after completely cool down you can start using it or
keep in the fridge for up to 48hrs..
To Make The Bread:
1. Take out the TangZhong 湯種 from the fridge at least an hour before
2. In a mixing bowl, add in warm milk, TangZhong 湯種, salt, sugar,
butter, bread flour and yeast. Add more flour if dough is too
sticky. Knead the dough for 15 to 20 minutes and proof it for 1˝
hour until the dough double in size
3. When dough is ready, punch down to deflate it. Divide dough into
4 equal portions. Leave them in a warm place to rest for 15-20 mins.
4. Knead each dough a few times and shape each into an oval shape.
Place them diagonally into a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan . Let dough proof
the 2nd round for 1-1˝ hours in a warm and moist place
or double in size.
5. Preheat oven 180°C / 355°F. and bake for 23-25 mins.
Back to Recipes Index