Swirl Black Berry/Currant Jam Raisin
1 3/4 cup / 8 oz bread flour
2 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp instant yeast
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tbsp lard or shortening/butter, melted or softened
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp water
3/4 cup/ 9 ounces raisins - rinsed and drained
Black Berry/Currant jam
1. Mix together flour, sugar, salt, yeast in a large
bowl . Add in egg, lard/shortening, milk, and water. Adjust with flour or
water if the dough seems too sticky or too dry and stiff.
2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic,
about 10minutes by hand or machine 6-8 minutes.
3. Once the dough passes the
knead in the raisins. Place in a greased bowl, cover and let proof
in a warm place about 2-3 hours or until doubled. Punch down..
4. Shape the dough into a 5 inch wide by 8 inch long rectangle about
1/3 inch thick. Spread a generous amount of black berry jam over the
dough. Starting with a short side, roll up tightly, jelly-roll
style. Pinch seams and ends to seal. Place in a lightly oiled
8 1/2 - 4 1/2 inch pan and cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel.
5. Proof for another 60 - 90 minutes or doubled in size.
6. Preheat oven to 180° C. and bake for 20 minutes, then rotate the pan 180 degrees
and bake for another 20-30 minutes until golden
brown on the top or sound hollow when thumped on the bottom.
7. Immediately remove from the pan. If desired, spread 1 tbsp of
melted butter on the top to create a sugary crust.
Remove from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
Back to Recipes Index