Malaysian Beef Rendang
3/8 pound shallots
3 cloves garlic
15 dried red chile peppers
5 slices fresh ginger root
5 lemon grass, chopped
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 pinch whole nutmeg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/4 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
2 cups shredded coconut
5 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 2/3 cups coconut milk
7/8 cup water
salt to taste
1. Heat the coconut in a dry wok, stirring continuously until golden
brown. Set aside to cool.
2. Using a blender or a food processor, blend the shallots, garlic,
chilies, ginger, and lemon grass to a thick paste.
3. Grind the coriander, fennel, cumin and nutmeg.
4. Using the wok, fry the shallot paste in a little oil for a few
minutes. Add the ground coriander, fennel, cumin and nutmeg; cook
for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring continuously. Add beef; cook over a
medium heat for a further 3 to 4 minutes, or until meat is browned.
5. Stir in sugar, coconut, cloves, cinnamon stick, coconut milk ,
and water. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer until most of the
liquid has gone and the meat is tender (about 1 hour). Season with
salt to taste.
Back to Recipes Index