Hainanese Chicken Rice
Ingredients For Chicken:
1 chicken (about 1.8 kg)
1 large piece of ginger, smashed
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 tbsp light soya sauce
1. Wash chicken and remove excess fat. Stuff chicken with salt,
ginger and garlic
2. Fill a deep pot with water making sure water level is enough to
immerse chicken. Bring to a boil, and when boiling put in chicken
and cook over low heat for 25 to 30 minutes till chicken is cooked.
3. Remove chicken and drain liquid from the body cavity. Retain
chicken stock for cooking rice and soup. Scoop out oil from stock
and use for making chilli sauce.
4. Add 2 tbsp salt to a big pot of water. Dip chicken in and soak
till it has cooled down. Drain and brush with 1 tbsp sesame oil
mixed with 1/2 tbsp light soya sauce
5. Chop chicken into bite-size pieces and serve garnished with
sliced cucumber, tomatoes and coriander leaves.
Ingredients For Chicken Rice:
600gm fragrant rice
700ml chicken stock
5 cloves garlic, minced
8 shallots, minced
1 small piece ginger, smashed
4 pandan leaves, knotted
4 tbsp corn oil
1 tsp salt
1. Wash rice, drain in a colander and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
2. Heat 4 tbsp corn oil over high heat in a wok. Add minced shallots
and garlic, ginger and pandan leaves and fry till fragrant.
3. Add rice grains and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a rice
cooker and add chicken stock and salt. When rice is cooked, remove
ginger and pandan leaves.
Ingredients For Chilli Sauce:
10 fresh red chillies
6 cloves garlic
2.5 cm piece young ginger
juice of 10 limes
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1. Blend chillies with garlics, shallots and ginger. Add vinegar,
lime juice and chicken oil. Add salt and sugar to taste.
Back to Recipes Index