Char Siu Smiling Fatt Kou (Bao)
(Dim sum Bao)
Make about 7 Fatt Kous Bao
· 120g Pau flour/Hong Kong flour/super fine flour
· 2 tsp instant yeast
· 1 tsp double action baking powder
· 1 table spoon castor sugar
· 1 tbsp shortening
· 4 tbsp or 60ml water
· 130g Pau flour/Hong Kong flour/cake flour
· 2 tsp double action baking powder
· 3 tablespoon water (45ml)
· 80g sugar (may be omitted)
· 3/4 tsp baking power
Mix ingredients (A) and knead well. Leave aside to ferment for five hours.
This is the starter dough
Sieve the flour and double action baking powder (B) into a large
mixing bowl. Add in sugar and baking powder. Mix in the starter
dough and water. Knead well to form a soft and smooth dough.
3. Divide dough into 7 portions, depending on how big a Bao
4. Flatten one portion and put 1 tsp of Char Siew Filling.
Continue to fill up the other portions.
5. Place filled Pau/Bao on top of a piece of parchment paper, put it
onto a steamer and cover with a damp cloth.
6.Leave aside for 15-20 minutes to rise.
7.Steam for 15-25 minutes over high heat
Back to Recipes Index