How to make Belacan and Cincalok at home
• Shrimps ( local name - bubuk)
1.Choose FRESH and small shrimps.( Shrimps must be fresh )
2. Wash the shrimps clean with SALT water if the
shrimps are dirty but preferable avoid washing the shrimps unless
very necessary. Do not wash with ordinary water.
3. Then, mix the shrimps with salt. The right amount of salt will make the
Belacan last longer and most importantly, will not produce bad smell.
4. Keep the mixture in a container or bucket (depending on the
quantity) over night , wrapping it with a special transparent
5. On the next day, take it out and dry under the sun. This
drying process would takes about 3 days depending on the weather.
Keep them in the fridge end of each day and continue the
drying process the next day
6.Once it is semi -dried out, the dried shrimps are then
blended or pounded into a paste before continue to be dried under
the sun for a day or two.
7. The shrimp paste is then sliced into cubes or any shape you
8. Belacan can be eaten with green vegetables and is usually used as
an additional flavour in cooking.
Make Cincalok at Home
• Shrimps (bubuk) must be VERY FRESH.
1. Do not wash the shrimps. In order to make Cincalok
shrimp must be very fresh.
2. Mix salt and sugar into the shrimps.
Sugar must be more than the salt.
Keep the mixture overnight in the refrigerator or 24hrs.
The next day, cincalok is ready and can be transferred into containers
Back to Recipes