Traditional Chinese Pancake with
(Bee Chian Kueh)/Apam Balik
Ingredients for flour mixture (makes 5 pieces)
250g plain flour
20g custard powder
30g rice flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp instant yeast
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
cooking oil for greasing pan
100g crushed toasted peanuts
60g margarine or butter
1. Mix all the ingredients of the flour mixture except bicarbonate
of soda together. Whisk until smooth. Cover and set a side for one
2. After one hour add bicarbonate of soda . Whisk the batter again
to mix well.
3. Heat a non-stick frying pan over low heat until hot.
4. Add some cooking oil to lightly grease the frying pan.
5. Add 3/4 cup batter and swirl the batter around to coat the whole
frying pan and the sides as well.
6. Cook over low heat until bubbles appear. Add sugar and crushed
7. Add a bit of butter or margarine and spread some cream corn on
top of the peanuts.
8. When the bottom is browned fold the pancake in half and transfer
to a plate.
Back to Recipes Index